Wednesday, April 26, 2006

What is this thing called?

I've been hunting for the name of this architectural element for about fifteen years. I've looked in numerous architectural reference books, but to avail. I suspect the definition was there, but without a drawing or photo, it eluded me. Recently, architect Ray Cekauskas gave me the answer: Antefix (or Ante-Fixae)


Blogger Ralph Murre said...

seems like "Cornice" is a perfectly good word -- but that's probably why I don't command the big fees -- Webster says:

cornice -- a horizontal strip of stone, wood or plaster crowning a building, usually molded and projecting, esp. part of the entablature above a frieze //

12:10 PM  
Blogger 20-20 said...

Ralph, I'm not sure if the antefix is considered part of the cornice, but it may be; I don't know. What I do know is that it's on top of the cornice and hides the open ends of roof tiles.

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home