Sunday, August 14, 2005




Appropriately, it's Sunday and the first day of my first blog. This blog will have an theme of photography and stories, interspersed with insights into my experiences.

About my photography

Before I began using a digital camera, most of my photography was done with medium format cameras. Using those cameras often involved some careful planning. Since I began using a digital camera, I have abandoned using film cameras altogether. The digital camera has freed me up considerably, which I enjoy immensly, although my results are very different now. I don’t spend a lot of time planning or staging a photograph. The things, people or situations I find compelling to photograph are nearly always unexpected and spontaneous. They are a sudden record of my search for elegance, symmetry, humor, and irony, in my surroundings and life. I record these findings whenever I can. Of course, much of what I discover never finds its way into my camera. Moments pass with astonishing speed. I am fortunate to catch some at 1/500th or 1/1500th of a second. At a result, many of the images I take are not successful. I often fail to capture the poignancy or essence that I saw at the moment of snapping the shutter. Yet, on occasion, a poorly framed or over-exposed image still conveys what I wanted to capture. Sometimes, a blurred image captures completely and exactly what I felt and saw.

John

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home